Thursday, March 11, 2010

Meet The First Member of the Team...

We've asked each member to send us a picture and tell us about themselves so you can get to know who's trying to raise money for cancer research.  I figure putting a face or personality to the fight, might help some of you open your wallets and help us out.

Since I haven't received any pictures, I thought I'd introduce myself first.  I'm Patricia.  I'm in charge of keeping this blog up to date.

I was going to take a picture of myself but it's awkward and never turns out right.  So, I figured since it's my feet that will get a workout doing all the walking in June, then that's what you should meet.  So feet, meet the world.

I'm Sarah's (our co-captain) mother-in-law and I run a small embroidery business.  Hopefully, you'll see some of my work on our shirts for the relay.  I think that's called blatant advertising.  Oh well.

Because I'm her mother-in-law, that puts me above the age of 20 but below the age of 100.  As you can tell from the turned up cuffs on my pants, I'm short.  Yes, I know how to sew and fix them, I just don't have the time to deal with it these days.




Why am I participating in this relay?  This is one reason.  Meet my Aunt Phyllis.  She is dying of brain cancer as I type this.  She's putting up a fantastic fight and her attitude if amazing, considering she knows it's a hopeless battle.

Look at that smile!  What a strong woman with a great attitude.



Here is reason number two.  This is my Aunt Darlene  (sister-in-law to Aunt P).  She just learned she has lung cancer.  She's on chemo already and is going to put up a tough fight.

As you can see, I come from a family of smiling people.  I don't want others to be robbed of beautiful smiles like these in their family.

Finally, last year I had a calcification cluster removed from my left breast.  No cancer was detected because it was caught early.  I'm now the proud owner of a titanium marker in my left breast.  I'm also here to tell you to get off your butts and get your mammograms on a regular basis.  Early detection is so darned important.

Let's see....pictures, blatant advertising for the biz, short family history and lecture to get your mammograms.  I think my job is done here.

Now all of you members on the team reading this, send me your picture and let people meet you.  Give us some history and try and keep it up beat.  Look at my smiling Aunts, talk about upbeat women!

Yes, cancer is a serious business but laughter is the best medicine.  So enjoy life and lets laugh as we watch science crush the cancer gene to death.

Now.....where's that toilet?

No comments:

Post a Comment